Alice Walker's life can be represented in her novel _The Color of Purple_. During her younger years, she was an activist for womans rights seeing as how she went to an all woman college. Furthermore, it was an all woman, black college. She was the child of sharecroppers which relates to the notation of race in the book. Being an exchange student and travelling to Africa has helped plant roots into the heritage and really lets her describe characters in her book deeply. Focusing on the time period in which she lived in, blacks and women were picking up speed in the Civil Rights movement. She was a participant in womans rights and the anti female genital mutilation is a strong theme here and there.... I need to write a bit more so here is some more on culture and what not... Most of her novels depict African American characters and primarily women. On the subject of _The Color Purple_, everything she stands against is incorporated into this book. Things are explicit. Ummm... She has won many awards due to her strong views and opinions. I dare you to disagree with me!
Maybe I will dare to disagree with you! Just kidding. She definitely is involved with a lot of movements that are usually related to her race and gender. It's kinda hard to agree or disagree with your post... Oh well, I'll try to make my comment more opinionated for Zack and Dustin.
So. Alice Walker. I think she's an interesting character to say the least. For starters, she's part of an anti female genitalia movement. I'm not even sure of what that means to be honest. I'm sure that it's a worthwhile cause, but I still think that it's a little weird. She also strikes me as an outspoken person, but again, I don't really have a problem with that. We need those outspoken people to move things along that the rest of us normally wouldn't generally say to the public. She has won multiple awards, so she must be doing something right. She's different. I like people who are different because they add more excitement to life. I will say that I might have bitten off more than I can chew with "The Color Purple", however. I haven't gotten that far into it, but it starting off with a rape scene is... I'm not a huge fan of that. Personally I'd have been fine with it just making it an important detail as opposed to a full blown narration of it. Who knows? Maybe I'll like it more as I go on, I'll like it more, but I'm not making any guarantees.
It seems to me that her past experiences in her life really shaped her into the proud feminist black woman she is today. After having gone to an all black woman college she probably received pro-black woman teachings. She was only surrounded by people of the same culture and ideal set which only helped reinforce any type of belief she previously had, and probably helped form new ones. I am also guessing that her trip to Africa also had a profound effect, after visiting the continent she again had her ideals reinforced or had new ones created, this time about her black heritage. She probably came away with a new outlook on not only her family's history, but her future as well. She also probably came back upset after seeing Africa's current state of affairs. The trip to Africa more than likely attributed to her work in civil rights. She wanted blacks to be treated in the best way possible and that required equal treatment from whites. She was a writer that attempted to move the Civil Rights Movement forward, and an activist that attempted to write important novels. Her experiences have allowed her to write award winning novels such as the Color Purple, and she probably got to meet Oprah.
First off, Derek, she is against female genital mutilation, not against female genitals. That would just be silly. However, I do think you are right about her coming across as an outspoken person. She seems to be the kind of person that preaches to you about right and wrong. Also Derek, the rape scene is not rape for the sake of rape, and I don't think you should be a fan of rape in any form. I have a feeling that the rape is going to be important later on, or it serves as a mood setter for the reader.
Agree with Dustin, she probably -did- see Oprah. I mean, its a book in the Oprah Book Club and Alice Walker is a strong writer. Not to mention she is a black woman, JUST LIKE OPRAH. Oprah also can relate, or has experiences with the things Alice Walker writes about. Anyways, It makes sense that where she went to college and how she lived her early life shaped her beliefs. The trip to Africa most definitely contributed to increase her knowledge of the subject, maybe even the most important event of her life?
Alice Walker's life can be represented in her novel _The Color of Purple_. During her younger years, she was an activist for womans rights seeing as how she went to an all woman college. Furthermore, it was an all woman, black college. She was the child of sharecroppers which relates to the notation of race in the book. Being an exchange student and travelling to Africa has helped plant roots into the heritage and really lets her describe characters in her book deeply.
ReplyDeleteFocusing on the time period in which she lived in, blacks and women were picking up speed in the Civil Rights movement. She was a participant in womans rights and the anti female genital mutilation is a strong theme here and there....
I need to write a bit more so here is some more on culture and what not... Most of her novels depict African American characters and primarily women. On the subject of _The Color Purple_, everything she stands against is incorporated into this book. Things are explicit.
Ummm... She has won many awards due to her strong views and opinions. I dare you to disagree with me!
Maybe I will dare to disagree with you! Just kidding. She definitely is involved with a lot of movements that are usually related to her race and gender. It's kinda hard to agree or disagree with your post... Oh well, I'll try to make my comment more opinionated for Zack and Dustin.
ReplyDeleteSo. Alice Walker. I think she's an interesting character to say the least. For starters, she's part of an anti female genitalia movement. I'm not even sure of what that means to be honest. I'm sure that it's a worthwhile cause, but I still think that it's a little weird. She also strikes me as an outspoken person, but again, I don't really have a problem with that. We need those outspoken people to move things along that the rest of us normally wouldn't generally say to the public. She has won multiple awards, so she must be doing something right. She's different. I like people who are different because they add more excitement to life. I will say that I might have bitten off more than I can chew with "The Color Purple", however. I haven't gotten that far into it, but it starting off with a rape scene is... I'm not a huge fan of that. Personally I'd have been fine with it just making it an important detail as opposed to a full blown narration of it. Who knows? Maybe I'll like it more as I go on, I'll like it more, but I'm not making any guarantees.
ReplyDeleteIt seems to me that her past experiences in her life really shaped her into the proud feminist black woman she is today. After having gone to an all black woman college she probably received pro-black woman teachings. She was only surrounded by people of the same culture and ideal set which only helped reinforce any type of belief she previously had, and probably helped form new ones. I am also guessing that her trip to Africa also had a profound effect, after visiting the continent she again had her ideals reinforced or had new ones created, this time about her black heritage. She probably came away with a new outlook on not only her family's history, but her future as well. She also probably came back upset after seeing Africa's current state of affairs. The trip to Africa more than likely attributed to her work in civil rights. She wanted blacks to be treated in the best way possible and that required equal treatment from whites. She was a writer that attempted to move the Civil Rights Movement forward, and an activist that attempted to write important novels. Her experiences have allowed her to write award winning novels such as the Color Purple, and she probably got to meet Oprah.
ReplyDeleteFirst off, Derek, she is against female genital mutilation, not against female genitals. That would just be silly. However, I do think you are right about her coming across as an outspoken person. She seems to be the kind of person that preaches to you about right and wrong. Also Derek, the rape scene is not rape for the sake of rape, and I don't think you should be a fan of rape in any form. I have a feeling that the rape is going to be important later on, or it serves as a mood setter for the reader.
ReplyDeleteAgree with Dustin, she probably -did- see Oprah. I mean, its a book in the Oprah Book Club and Alice Walker is a strong writer. Not to mention she is a black woman, JUST LIKE OPRAH. Oprah also can relate, or has experiences with the things Alice Walker writes about.
ReplyDeleteAnyways, It makes sense that where she went to college and how she lived her early life shaped her beliefs. The trip to Africa most definitely contributed to increase her knowledge of the subject, maybe even the most important event of her life?