Although I find it kind of odd that the author of the article would state the fact that she has a fetish for books. Whatever makes you happy, I guess. As for the article itself, it's something I can relate to very well. She loves to read, and when she was younger, she'd read "The Color Purple". The first time she read it, there were several things she never quite caught on to because she was still a young reader and did not have enough life experience to really read between the lines. I've had the experience several times. Although I'm not as old as Barnes, I still read many books in my elementary school years. Upon rereading them at an older age with a decent amount of maturation taking place, I was able to notice many things that the author would do to add to the whole experience of the book. I also found the article to be informative as well because Barnes throws in a nice amount of analysis and explanation of the novel that served to clear things up for me a bit. And yeah. It's a great way to stay in shape.
The first thing I noticed about this article is its length. The author of the article, Chanequa Walker-Barnes, definitely shows her fetish for books by the sheer length of the article. I wouldn't doubt the fact that it might have been longer and she had to shorten it. Walker-Barnes, who will be referred to as B-Dubs from now on, shares a connection with The Color Purple and Alice Walker that only black women can share. However, this connection is surprisingly not immediate. B-Dubs did not fully grasp the subtleties that are found in the book, but as she grew older and lived more black women experiences she began to understand and relate to the book better. The thing from the book that seems to fascinate B-Dubs the most and what she claims to relate to is Cecile's one-sided relation with God. Cecile seems to grow up and learn to fend for herself because of God's silence. Cecile slowly turns into a strong independent black woman. The kind of ideal black woman that Alice Walker, B-Dubs, and Oprah desire, and seek to admire and imitate.
I see you managed to bring Oprah into the comment. Barnes, along with women in general should be able to relate to this book in some way. The story of how Cecile matures and learns to fend for herself probably makes her a hero to many women. It inspires women to take charge of their own life.
Alright if you take my entire post and look for every individual word that could relate to the article, I'm sure it'll reach 200+ but yes, I'm not quite in the mood for writing this article and I'm hoping that length will give me the points :3 So, we'll start off with Barnes' fetish for books.... If you think about it in the natural sense, yes, its weird.... Very weird... But lets look at it like a normal person would. She loves to read, so do many others, but what caught her attention was The Color Purple (That poor poor soul...). Anyways, she seems to have a connection with God, for she claims to relate to Celie (Which I hope God is the only way she relates). As I read Derek and Dustin's posts, it seems to me that "the" question I'm trying to answer is: In what way does B-Dubs connect with the The Color Purple and Alice Walker. Although I don't think that's the real question here, I'm gonna go ahead and answer it anyway! Like I mentioned earlier, she can compare with Celie. The next thing I would mention is her understanding of the book as she grew older. She gives a synopsis on some characters and their changes, WHICH TOTALLY RUINED THE BOOK FOR ME (not really), and the change of the meaning of The Color Purple, from pain and depression to forgiveness and reconciliation. Unfortunately it is a story about being happy that you are black, a woman, gay and religious. Yay. All in all, the book plants a seed in your head and turns you into a black woman that has a fetish for books. I'm kind of scared to finish (read) the book now... :( Holy crap I thought I'd have a lot more words than 280... Hmmmm. Well, I've hit the 300 mark so I guess I'm good. As for before, when I said that if you took all the words that were related to the article... yeah instead of 200 lets make that 100, and that'd be reasonable. AS FOR OPRAH: When she was a very small girl, she was reading bible verses and poetry. At the age of six, she went to live with her mother, where she was was repeatedly molested by male relatives. This went on from the ages of nine to thirteen, where left her home and went out on her own. (Not the first time she did that, for when she was about 10 she also ran away from home and asked an orphanage to take her in but all the beds were filled and she was rejected.) She was a "promiscuous teenager" and after having a baby boy that died in infancy, she moved to Tennessee. She then became pretty and won stuff and is now famous and rich. Morale of the story... never mind. So yeah, I can see how this related to Oprah!
This is my response: You guys filled in your responses with useless sentences making the response seem longer, which is CHEATING, and you guys should not get points for them because your comment with actual content is only like 10 words! So yeah... I agree that Barnes should be called B-Dubs, thats appropriate, just like the name Chanequa (Google Chrome is telling me that I spelled her name wrong...). I also agree that she can relate to the book because she wrote an entire article about it, thank you Derek for clearing that up for us! Um yeah, go read my post guys, you'll learn about Oprah!!
Although I find it kind of odd that the author of the article would state the fact that she has a fetish for books. Whatever makes you happy, I guess. As for the article itself, it's something I can relate to very well. She loves to read, and when she was younger, she'd read "The Color Purple". The first time she read it, there were several things she never quite caught on to because she was still a young reader and did not have enough life experience to really read between the lines. I've had the experience several times. Although I'm not as old as Barnes, I still read many books in my elementary school years. Upon rereading them at an older age with a decent amount of maturation taking place, I was able to notice many things that the author would do to add to the whole experience of the book. I also found the article to be informative as well because Barnes throws in a nice amount of analysis and explanation of the novel that served to clear things up for me a bit. And yeah. It's a great way to stay in shape.
ReplyDeleteThe first thing I noticed about this article is its length. The author of the article, Chanequa Walker-Barnes, definitely shows her fetish for books by the sheer length of the article. I wouldn't doubt the fact that it might have been longer and she had to shorten it. Walker-Barnes, who will be referred to as B-Dubs from now on, shares a connection with The Color Purple and Alice Walker that only black women can share. However, this connection is surprisingly not immediate. B-Dubs did not fully grasp the subtleties that are found in the book, but as she grew older and lived more black women experiences she began to understand and relate to the book better. The thing from the book that seems to fascinate B-Dubs the most and what she claims to relate to is Cecile's one-sided relation with God. Cecile seems to grow up and learn to fend for herself because of God's silence. Cecile slowly turns into a strong independent black woman. The kind of ideal black woman that Alice Walker, B-Dubs, and Oprah desire, and seek to admire and imitate.
ReplyDeleteI see you managed to bring Oprah into the comment. Barnes, along with women in general should be able to relate to this book in some way. The story of how Cecile matures and learns to fend for herself probably makes her a hero to many women. It inspires women to take charge of their own life.
ReplyDeleteAlright if you take my entire post and look for every individual word that could relate to the article, I'm sure it'll reach 200+ but yes, I'm not quite in the mood for writing this article and I'm hoping that length will give me the points :3
ReplyDeleteSo, we'll start off with Barnes' fetish for books.... If you think about it in the natural sense, yes, its weird.... Very weird... But lets look at it like a normal person would. She loves to read, so do many others, but what caught her attention was The Color Purple (That poor poor soul...). Anyways, she seems to have a connection with God, for she claims to relate to Celie (Which I hope God is the only way she relates).
As I read Derek and Dustin's posts, it seems to me that "the" question I'm trying to answer is: In what way does B-Dubs connect with the The Color Purple and Alice Walker. Although I don't think that's the real question here, I'm gonna go ahead and answer it anyway!
Like I mentioned earlier, she can compare with Celie. The next thing I would mention is her understanding of the book as she grew older. She gives a synopsis on some characters and their changes, WHICH TOTALLY RUINED THE BOOK FOR ME (not really), and the change of the meaning of The Color Purple, from pain and depression to forgiveness and reconciliation.
Unfortunately it is a story about being happy that you are black, a woman, gay and religious. Yay. All in all, the book plants a seed in your head and turns you into a black woman that has a fetish for books. I'm kind of scared to finish (read) the book now... :(
Holy crap I thought I'd have a lot more words than 280... Hmmmm. Well, I've hit the 300 mark so I guess I'm good. As for before, when I said that if you took all the words that were related to the article... yeah instead of 200 lets make that 100, and that'd be reasonable.
AS FOR OPRAH: When she was a very small girl, she was reading bible verses and poetry. At the age of six, she went to live with her mother, where she was was repeatedly molested by male relatives. This went on from the ages of nine to thirteen, where left her home and went out on her own. (Not the first time she did that, for when she was about 10 she also ran away from home and asked an orphanage to take her in but all the beds were filled and she was rejected.) She was a "promiscuous teenager" and after having a baby boy that died in infancy, she moved to Tennessee. She then became pretty and won stuff and is now famous and rich. Morale of the story... never mind.
So yeah, I can see how this related to Oprah!
This is my response:
ReplyDeleteYou guys filled in your responses with useless sentences making the response seem longer, which is CHEATING, and you guys should not get points for them because your comment with actual content is only like 10 words! So yeah... I agree that Barnes should be called B-Dubs, thats appropriate, just like the name Chanequa (Google Chrome is telling me that I spelled her name wrong...). I also agree that she can relate to the book because she wrote an entire article about it, thank you Derek for clearing that up for us! Um yeah, go read my post guys, you'll learn about Oprah!!